Unfortunately, there are times when the personnel in charge of ensuring the health of their patients in hospitals, clinics, and doctor’s offices, among others, commit negligent acts by mistake or intentionally. Thus causing severe consequences such as an unfair death in a patient who could have continued his life if he had been cared for properly.
In these cases, the direct relatives or legal representatives of the person who died due to the acts of another person may claim compensation that will have to be paid by the person responsible for said death. This certainly won’t pay for the damage caused or the life of a loved one. However, it will help ease some of the heavy burdens of processing after a loved one dies.
Negligent acts that can cause the death of a patient
The personnel of any establishment in charge of health, such as doctors, nurses, cleaning staff, and maintenance, among others, may be responsible for the wrongful death of a patient through different acts such as:
● A misdiagnosis
● Unnecessary or wrong medication
● Failing to care for or maintain necessary medical establishments or tools
● Neglecting a patient who requires intensive care
● A mistake in surgery
● An intentional act that threatens the life of a patient
● Among others.
What expenses can be claimed to receive compensation?
The loved ones or legal representatives of the person who has died may claim to cover the expenses of:
● Funerals, burials, etc.
● The maintenance of the person’s relatives in the event that this person has been the main contributor to the family.
● The deceased person’s economic value could have contributed to the family and home of the deceased.
● The emotional damage to the relatives of the person who died negligently
Family members of the person who died will have a timeframe of two years from the date of death to file and submit a claim in California. This legal process must be done within this time frame, or else the state may deny prosecution of the case due to the state’s statute of limitations.
At Herrera Law, we understand the emotional and mental toll that losing a loved one in this way can have on you, which is why we offer compassionate service and legal support throughout the process. We will fight for the compensation that you and your family deserve without hesitation.