Unfortunately, car accidents have been on the rise in recent years, claiming thousands of lives in our country. According to statistics from the National Safety Council, the number of fatalities from car accidents exceeded 40,000 people in 2021.
This means that even though more safety measures have been tried, negligent drivers continue to disregard traffic laws. Hence, these factors cause serious accidents.
Common causes of car accidents in California
The most common causes of these types of accidents usually include negligent or careless driving by people who do not take into account the risks they pose to other drivers on the road, such as:
1. Speeding or breaking state-posted speed limits.
2. Distracted driving due to the use of cell phones, headphones, or other electronic devices, as well as being distracted by passengers traveling in the same vehicle.
3. Driving under the influence of alcohol or any drug affecting driving and the senses that must be alert while driving a car.
4. Failure to respect signals such as traffic lights, stops, and pedestrian crossings, among others, established to ensure the safety of other drivers and pedestrians.
5. Improper driving by going on the wrong side, making sudden movements, among other things that take drivers around the negligent driver by surprise.
Consequences of careless driving
It can be noted that all these causes are caused by humans and by carelessness in the way they drive. Unfortunately, this puts not only the improper driver at risk, but also the motorists around them and the passengers traveling with them.
Any of the above mentioned ways of driving can lead to severe accidents causing injury and even death, simply because you were not careful while driving. That is why we want to invite you to avoid any of these actions and to try to prevent accidents by following the safety rules on the road.
In case you have been the victim of an accident, do not hesitate to contact our personal injury law firm. We can help you recover the compensation you deserve.