Slip & fall accidents can cause serious injury. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than a million people suffer an injury in a slip & fall accident annually. Slip and falls or trip and falls can happen anywhere, but stores are a very common site of slip and fall accidents. People who slip and fall in public tend to feel embarrassed immediately. This is understandable but can ultimately be damaging if the embarrassment causes you to brush off the injury rather than taking the appropriate safety steps.
If you slip and fall in a store, there are five things that you should do right away:
- Take a moment to check for any pain you may be experiencing. Do not rush to stand. Instead, take a moment to determine if you are injured, and if so, how badly. Remember that injuries can take some time to present themselves, so do not rush to change positions. Be gentle with yourself.
- Take a picture of the conditions that led to your fall. Is there water on the floor? Uneven flooring? Debris? Whatever caused your fall, it is essential to snap a picture of it at the moment of your accident. It is easy for property managers to remove hazards once an injury has already occurred, making slip & fall cases challenging to prove. A photo of the conditions at the moment of your accident can go a long way in supporting your claim.
- Report your slip and fall to the store. Do not leave the premises until you have reported the accident and have received a copy of the paperwork. If you go home and wait to report your fall, it will be easier for the store to deny the accident ever occurred.
- Seek medical attention. Injuries do not always present themselves right away, and slip and fall accidents have been known to cause severe back and neck problems. It is in your best interest to seek medical attention right away, even if you do not feel as if you are injured.
- Contact a personal injury attorney. You should not have to pay your own medical bills following a preventable slip and fall accident. Contact Herrera Law. We can help you secure financial compensation.